A small internet radio player
NetRadio is a small program that lets you receive and play internet radio on your computer. A 96 kbps or better internet connection is needed to use the program.
The program comes with a selection of channels from the popular radio station 181.fm. You can easily add and manage your own favorite radio stations, by downloading their playlist and copying them into NetRadio’s “playlists” folder.
NetRadio is very simple, but easy to use. No confusing options, no bloated features you never use. Just plain and easy listening to your favorite stations.
NetRadio is tested and works on all Windows platforms, from Windows XP to Windows 10, both 32bit and 64bit.
NetRadio is freeware. You can share it with anyone as long as no money is charged. Use it at your own risk.
Graphics designer wanted!
For the release of NetRadio 1.0, I am looking for a 2D graphics designer who is interested to help me make a new skin.
No coding skills are required. You design the layout of the app and create the images, I take care of the rest. This could be your opportunity to create something cool and useful, and make a name for yourself in the GUI design field. If your design idea convinces me, I’m also willing to pay a small fee to compensate your efforts.
Send me an email if you’re interested.
Latest Changes (0.7 to 0.8)
- Added support for m3u playlist files
- Added sound page with volume slider and three-band equalizer
- Added look up feature: Instantly look up current song via google
- Added a selection of channels from 181.fm
- Improved indication whether the window is currently active
- Improved error handling
- Improved reconnection when losing network link
- Fixed program becoming unresponsive during network failure
- Fixed display of output sample rate
Hints and tips
- Right button on sound icon increases volume by 20%
- Mouse wheel over player window increases or decreases volume by 5%
- If clicking the sliders in sound menu is too difficult, you can use mouse wheel over them
- To close a sub menu, such as sound, stations or credits, just click on the desktop or any other window
- Right button on look up icon opens credits menu
- You can dowload more 181.fm playlists here
- You can copy your music playlists (pls, m3u) into netradio’s playlist folder
Where to download
Please support your favorite station. Keep internet radio alive.
Make sure you uninstall your old version of NetRadio before installing the new one.
You can download NetRadio v0.8 here.
Modding / Skinning information
The program uses the Jewel GUI framework for the user interface. The actual behavior of the program is implemented in JewelScript. All the script and image files are compressed into a 7-Zip archive that is loaded when the program starts.
If you are interested to mod NetRadio, get 7-Zip, unpack ‘Resources.jpac’ into a folder ‘Resources’ next to the program, and start changing the graphics and scripts.
If you’re familiar with HTML/XML, changing the UI layout should be no problem. Editing the JewelScript code is not necessary to make a new skin. However, if you’re skilled, you can turn NetRadio into a Space-Invaders or Pac-Man clone. :)
As mentioned, you don’t need to touch the scripting to make a new skin. You can get very far by just changing the image files and GUI layout in the XML file (main.jml). However, if you would like to change a bit more than that, you are free to tinker with the script code as well.